Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sitting on the porch swing, legs crossed, cane to the side,
watching the great grand babies' minds wander as they play out side.

I park my car and my eyes well with tears,
My mind flutters like a picture show of memories throughout the years.

I remember his  red truck,
and the camping trips we took.

Mostly down to Palisades,
Where some of my greatest memories were made.

I feel the heat of the wood burning stove that sits in the corner of the house,
And giggle at the thought of  winter time, and grandma trying to cook us out.

I think of all our Sunday dinners  gathered around the table,
Grandmas eyes filled with tears, as he expresses to Heavenly Father of all the reasons to be grateful.

I smile when I walk in the garage and see everything neatly in its place,
Even the old family farm equipment is proudly on display.

I'll cherish the time in Manti of placing flowers on the graves,
I promised him I'd never forget to decorate where the nameless boy was laid.

I smile at the thought of his plaid shirts, slacks, and that signature white hat.
That's how I'll always remember him, there is no doubt about that.

His contagious smile and cobalt blue eyes,
Is where the true Dennison in our family lies.

I love him for always loving me no matter what choice I made.
I should have come around more, more effort I should have gave.

As time thins and the calendar pages fly,
I promise to make more of an effort to drop by and say hi.

"Family is the most important thing" is what we've always been told.
I realize that now... Now that he's grown old.

I love and cherish his teachings more than he will ever see,
No one will ever be able to take the place of my Grandpa D.





No comments:

Post a Comment